Sunday, December 17, 2006

Meldee's Growing Post

Question 1
What is a good definition of percent? You should use words symbols, pictures and numerical examples in your definition. (suggestion gliffy is an excellent tool for adding detail to your definition.)

A percent is a part of 100%. It can be used as an equivalent fraction. example:
50 1
----- = ---
100 2
Picture 1



Question 2
How are three fifths (3/5), 3:2, 60% and 0.6 all the same? Use pictures and words to show your answer.

Picture 2





Question 3
Show 3 different ways to find 35% of 80. (bubbleshare is an excellent tool to animate the many different ways of finding these answer).





1. 100/100= 1. 80/100= 0.8. 0.8=1%. 0.8x100= 28

2. 28 35
---- = ----
80 100

3.






Question 4
Find a link to blogs that deal with percentages. Leave a comment behind and add the link with a review (What the post was talking about....yes you have to read the post and why others should read the post) Hint: In the side bar there are links to other schools. Three of them have done work on percentages!

http://linden8z.blogspot.com/2006/11/percentages-real-deal.html
Okay, I know everyone chose this page, but I chose it because the student who did this was very good at explaining the different ways of doing percentages. Also, the pictures were very funny and appealed to the reader of the post.
I also decided to do this link: http://jsgeometry.edublogs.org/2006/11/14/math-fractions-decimals-and-percents/

because it was done by a teacher, not a student, and was well done by that teacher.


Question 5
The principal announced that 50% of the children in Ms. Stanzi's class met their reading goal for the month and that 55% of the children in Ms Lowrey's class met their reading goal for the month. Ms Stanzi said that a greater number of her students met their reading goal. Could Ms Stanzi be correct? Why or Why not.


Although this question says "why or why not" I believe that this question has no right or wrong answer. This is weird, I know, but it always depends if the teacher has more students or less students than the other. Let's start with Ms. Stanzi's class having more students than Ms. Lowrey's class.

Ms. Stanzi has 30 students and Ms.Lowrey's class has 20 students.

Ms. Stanzi's class
30 kids / by every 2 kids who read= 15 kids which is half of 30

Now for Ms. Lowrey's class
20 kids/ by every 2 kids that read= 10 kids which is half of 20

Now if Ms. Lowrey's class had more students than Mr. Stanzi's class, the odd's would be different.

Let's say Ms. Lowrey's class had 30 students and Ms. Stanzi's class had 20 students.

The answers would be the same except the teachers would be different. To me, it depends weather the students outnumber each other, the teachers' having more students then the other, or one class is waaaay better at reading!

Question 6

Use a hundred grid (unit square) to illustrate the following questions. Once you have explained and illustrated what the question means solve it.

a) 16 is 40% of what number?

40÷40=1

16÷40=0.40.

4x100=40

16/40=40/100


b) What is 120% of 30?

30÷100=0.3

0.3x120=36

36/30=120/100

Well, I'm done, almost, and I think I did a pretty good job. Please comment any changes I should make! Thank you!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Meldee,

I think your growing post is very nice. Thank you for leaving a comment on my post. I am glad you liked it. I agree that pictures should be added. I need to get my students to do that, because you all do such a good job with yours! I love the pictures you used from gliffy. I didn't know you could make such interesting diagrams with that tool. I am going to have to look at it again.

I am planning to take my students to the computer lab tomorrow, and I will show them what a good job you did with your post!

Mrs. Simpson

Levi said...

HEY Meldee, where did you get the picture in question number 2????????

Levi said...

MELDEE!???